04 May 2013

Auction Rooms

Auction Rooms
103-107 Errol st
North Melbourne Vic 3051
T: (03) 9326 7749


Auction Rooms on Urbanspoon



Auction Rooms is one of Melbourne's most renowned brunch places and I'm certain it doesn't need any introduction. After coming here early last yr, I was left not wow-ed or felt compelled to return (due to the menu... nothing jumped out). But I decided to give it another try upon hearing that they'd changed the menu!

Cold smoked salmon, potato & quinoa rosti, absinthe-buttered kale, poached egg and yuzu hollandaise $16. The potato rosti was done very nicely with a crispy outside and inside wasn't soggy, quite tasty to eat and not oily at all! The egg was poached well and yolk flowed out nicely too. Salmon was decent sized however there was a slight fishy smell which was present when the dish came over. Tastewise it wasn't fishy at all but was overcooked for my liking. I also couldn't taste the yuzu at all in the hollandaise too. However, despite that being said, the all components went well together. 

 Housemade banana and walnut bread with expresso butter and maple syrup $ 10. The banana bread was not dry yet wasn't moist either.  This dish felt like an alternative to french toast and isn't overly sweet (even if you dip alot of maple syrup on it!) which is good. Presentation was definitely nice.

Overall, Auction room provides many unique brunch dishes and a D.I.Y breakfast for those who do not want to venture outside their comfort zone. I personally think that the dishes are more for a lunch and not quite suitable for breakfast at 8:30 in the morning ...(not sure I want to eat kimchi that early.. although it sounds very appealing!!). The atmosphere is most definitely laid back and a nice place to unwind or catch up with friends over coffee. I think it's definitely worth a place trying as there wasn't much to fault with the food. But not all the options appeal to me hence I won't be in a rush to come back and try their other dishes....

No comments :

Post a Comment